The Fourth Regiment of Infantry, United States Army, was organized in accordance with an act of Congress, approved May 30, 1796. For the first three years of its existence, it served in Virginia but was disbanded in 1802, along with other regiments, by order of Congress. In June, 1808 the regiment was reorganized, raising troops from New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts, and became part of the five regiment U.S. Army.
Through the years, the Fourth Regiment fought in the war of 1812, the Seminole War, The War with Mexico, and the Pig War on San Juan Island in 1859. During the War of the Rebellion, the regiment was part of the Army of The Potomac and fought in the battles of the Peninsula, Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. Hard times require hard men, and in July of 1863, the Fourth Regiment was ordered to New York City in the aftermath of the New York Draft Riots. In February, 1864 the regiment rejoined the Union forces in the field and fought in the battles of The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, North Anna, and Petersburg. Following the Petersburg battle, and numbering less that 150 men, the Fourth Regiment were ordered to head quarters as guard for General Grant.
The modern H Company, Fourth Regiment, was organized in 1985, and joined the National Regiment in 1992. In addition, we are proud members of Sykes' Regulars, Inc. The current members are proud to honor the men of the Regular Army, and attempt to carry on the tradition of that heroic class.
We pride ourselves on our discipline, drill, polished brass, clean weapons, and blackened leathers. The Regulars were the professionals of the army, and we strive to be the professionals of the hobby.